Sleep disorder treatments are normally grouped below following categories:
1. Treatment according to the particular sleep disorder: Patient is evaluated to find out the kind of sleep disorder he is suffering from. CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) is the very best way to control sleep apnea. It delivers continuous air through a mask or nasal pillows into the nose thereby keeping the airway track open. Losing weight also assists in treating sleep apnea. Snoring might be prevented by staying off the back whilst sleeping because as one relaxes on the back, the tissue in the throat falls far more simply across the airway. Attempt to sleep on the side and steer clear of alcohol and sleeping pills in case of light snoring. Light-phase shift therapy is helpful for circadian rhythm abnormalities. In this, patient is exposed to bright light (either from a light box or natural sunlight) to assist normalize the sleep schedule. Narcolepsy is treated using the aid of medicines (Ritalin and anti-depressants).
2. Lifestyle remedies or behavioural therapy: This contains relaxation training, cognitive therapy, sleep restriction therapy and good sleeping habits. Progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing strategies and self-hypnosis aid the individual to relax the body. Cognitive therapy is efficacious for short-term remedy of insomnia. Treatments particularly for night terrors incorporate hypnosis and guided imagery techniques. Sustaining great sleeping habits also assist in finding an excellent sleep, for example- going to sleep only when feeling sleepy, standard schedule for bedtime and wakening. Stay away from caffeine late inside the day, establish a typical workout program, steer clear of heavy meals, practice relaxation tactics and limit the intake of alcohol. Taking a hot bath and deep breathing workout for few minutes may also assist a person relax and get to sleep. It is important to maintain great sleep hygiene.
3. Medications: Medicines for treating sleep disorders can be utilized for brief period. Long-term usage of these sleep medicines has far more risks than benefits. Most common anxiety relievers and sleep inducers are benzodiazepines. They improve the effect of inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-amino butyric acid but are addictive.
4. Herbal remedies: Some people use herbal medicines for treating sleep disorder. Herbal teas, infusions and bath can assist in insomnia. A cup of chamomile tea has a relaxing and soothing impact. Medollyn helps in sustaining standard sleeping pattern. It is important to check with a doctor ahead of purchasing herbal remedies.
5. Surgery: Surgery is indicated to right underlying medical conditions that cause insomnia; by way of example, palate surgery in sleep apnea.
Sleep disorder treatments depend upon the underlying trigger or medical history and person's lifestyle. With the selection of appropriate therapy, very good night sleep may be restored.