Makes 12 servings
14- to 16-ounce package herb-seasoned stuffing mix
2 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced leeks
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Combine stuffing mix, chicken broth, poultry seasoning and pepper in a large bowl.
4. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, celery, onion and leeks and saute for five minutes, or until slightly tender.
5. Add sauteed vegetables to stuffing mix and toss lightly to combine. Add additional chicken broth for a moister stuffing.
6. Place stuffing in baking dish and bake about 30 to 35 minutes, or until completely hot throughout.
Nutrition information (per serving)
5 g protein
29 g carbohydrate
2.5 g fat (0 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
575 mg sodium
100 mg potassium
48 mg calcium
1.7 mg iron
170 IU vitamin A
3 mg vitamin C
3 g fiber
Kim Galeaz is a registered dietitian based in Indianapolis and Jacksonville, Fla. As a culinary-nutrition consultant, writer and spokeswoman for the food, beverage and agriculture industry, Galeaz is passionate about blending great taste with good health in all her culinary creations.