- 1 litre dry red wine
- 2 (5cm) cinnamon sticks
- 1 dessertspoon whole cloves
- 1 dessertspoon whole allspice
- 1 large piece orange rind (avoid the pith)
- 1 large piece lemon rind (avoid the pith)
- 4 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the red wine, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, lemon rind and orange rind. Heat gently, but don't bring to the boil. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and once dissolved, taste to see if you'd like to add more.
- Keep hot on medium to low heat for 20 minutes to let the flavours infuse the wine. Serve your mulled wine hot in glasses or mugs.